ABOUT ME...

My photo
Alamogordo, New Mexico, United States
I'm enrolled in the Adult. education program at Bellevue University. Come learn with me...

WELCOME TO MY BLOG...

Welcome to my blog.

I define learning as taking a response or knowledge and applying it to real life. Learning can take place by formal education or just by the learning of new skills and is a continual process throughout our lives. I always feel fulfilled if I learn something new every day.

As learners, each of us bring a range of experiences, competencies, and interests to the table. Face it...our entire lives have been defined by how we learn. Growing up my sister loved to read....and I didn't. She followed directions word-for-word...I didn't. I would look at the finished product (or a picture) and put whatever it was together...she couldn't. I was mechanical...she was anything but mechanical.

We have all learned that our brains are all wired differently. One of reasons people learn differently is associated with the dominant side of their brains. Some people are left brain dominant, some people are right brain dominant, and some are split right down the middle and use both. There are very specific characteristics pertaining to each and each has an effect on how we, adult learners, actually learn.

Knowing that everyone learns differently, do you feel that teachers should create learning assignments that cater to everyone? I think that a creative learning environment will encompass many different styles of teaching...which in-turn will help different styles of learning. Have the students participate, answer questions, use a board, PPT presentation, have an area where students can practice (if applicable), etc.

If you take the quizzes and you know what kind of learner you are. Example: If you are an auditory learner, sit at the front of the room so you can hear. Don't sit by a window so that you can get easily distracted. Put into effect all the information you learned about your particular style of learning. Everyone wins this way. There will be times that some lessons will just require you to take in the information and then you have to figure out "how" to learn the most from it.

The bottom-line is, find out how you learn the best...and use it. It will make your job of learning easier and it will help the teacher to create a more fruitful learning environment.

How do you learn? Do you learn best by seeing, hearing, or acting out the information you are learning? In other words, are you a mostly a visual, auditory, or tactile/kinesthetic learner? Actually, everybody uses a variety of the methods, but one method or type is usually dominant in each individual.

If you learn which is your dominant learning style you can improve your learning. Here are a couple different quizzes to help you determine your style.

There are many other tests out on the web to help you compare the results. Here's a few of them. Have fun!

http://people.usd.edu/~bwjames/tut/learning-style/

http://www.edutopia.org/multiple-intelligences-learning-styles-quiz

http://www.educationplanner.org/education_planner/discovering_article.asp?sponsor=2859&articleName=Learning_Styles_Quiz

Happy Learning Everybody!


Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 July 2011

WHITE WATER RAFTING

What a great analogy, I never thought of it like this, but teaching most certainly IS like white water rafting.  During the “ride,” there are parts that will be “smooth sailing,” but other parts that may be compared to being on “the rapids” and consisting of many ups and downs, twists and turns in the road or “river”—and if you don’t hang on, you’re going out (of the raft).  When teaching, the material may be the same, but in reality, no two classes are ever really the same.  Sometimes, thank goodness we have on our life jackets.
Sometimes classes (or students) just pick right up on the curriculum, and other times you have to work really hard to get through to them.  One of the greatest joys of teaching is when you actually “see” when the students actually “get it!”  As we’ve previously learned, it’s because there are differently learning and teaching styles which can affect any given learning situation.
The first time I had to teach electronics was probably the single scariest time in my teaching career.  I was used to teaching about aircraft, but supervision needed a female to teach what they considered “the basics,” so I was told I was going to teach electronics, soldering, etc.  I was pretty proficient in each area EXCEPT for the electronic portion-- I just didn’t get it.  Thank goodness we had the basic lesson plans and I had some students in the first couple of classes that really understood about electronics.  I would go home at night and my husband would work with me to tell me how to explain the next day’s lesson.  It was far from the ideal learning situation for me and I’m sure, my students.  I felt it was terrible, but they actually learned, though Heavens knows how they learned (smile).  I believe it was the second time I had to teach it that I was drawing an electronic component on the board and I finally got it.  It was like, “Wow…that really is easy.”
I will always remember that teaching experience and never, ever, want to repeat it.  I don’t care how much time and effort I have to put into it before hand, but I will LEARN the information before standing up in front of someone and try to teach them.  It just isn’t fun.  Besides, as the teacher/instructor, YOU’RE supposed to be the subject matter expert! 

5 comments:

tm48thoughts said...

Hi Shelley,
I can relate to your experience. One of the tings you stated is that some of the students had electronic experience. Did you think about initiating an activity with the experience and less experience to review a particular part of the lesson plan and then having each student teach back? I know this has been beneficial to me in a similar situation. This also makes the instructor REAL- kinda like white water rapids ;) Tina M

Analisa said...

Shelly, Be prepared certainly makes the difference when instructing. I believe that as a teacher I need to know what I am talking about. Not only the reading and the understanding but the application. Getting in the trenches and doing it hands on works for me.

If I get stuck or don't know the answer to a question, I make sure I let them know that while I don't know now, I will certainly find out and get back to them.

Great analogy!

TONIA said...

Hi Shelley, One suggestion I have for this problem is to utilize the students in your class who were really good at the electronic part. Turn it into a student centered approach and assign them parts of the lecture and possibly give extra credit for the students who stepped forward.
i teach Phlebotomy (drawing blood)a lot. I usually have one or two students who have done it before and then always have a hand full who need my attention all the time. I utilize the students that have the experience to help other students and if i can I like to put them one on one to guide them through so I can be everywhere else in the classroom.
Tonia Watson-Pieffer

Ron Dobesh said...

Shelly,

First off, I got this to post just fine, so either your changes worked or I did something right for a change... (LOL)

It sounds scary to teach a subject that you are not good at enough to consider yourself an expert at it. And then you stated that the students you were teaching electronics to were supervisors on top of it, which must have really set you on edge. Are you more proficient at soldering now? It was good that you had some students who could assist you. I have had a few trainees who knew their stuff and were taking my training to get the extra endorsements, but those drivers always had to be broken of their bad habits before they could proceed forward. Have you ever had to untrain a student in order to train them correctly?

Ron

Shelley B. said...

It was scary, Ron. It was just one of those subjects that I couldn't get. Once the lightbulb clicked, it ended up being one of my favorite subjects to teach. Funny, isn't it.